League 1 Game Week Review

This week saw the beginning of the international break meaning that League 1 takes centre stage.

Southend 2-1 Peterborough

The early kick off this week was at Roots Hall as Southend went head to head with Peterborough United. Southend secured their first win of the campaign with goals through Adam Barrett and Noel Hunt. The Shrimpers striker David Mooney hit the bar just before Adam Barrett scored from close range, Peterborough also hit the bar in this game after a ferocious effort from Michael Bostwick but then Noel Hunt headed home from a Ben Coker free kick after some very poor marking from the away side. Peterborough’s Marcus Maddison netted for the away side in the final moments as his side walked away with yet another loss.

Barnsley 1-2 Shrewsbury

Micky Mellon got his first win of the season as Shrewsbury boss on Saturday as his side netted in the last minute to take all three points. Shrewsbury Town started off much the better team in this match and it was rewarded when Mark Ellis scrambled home in the 6th minute following Liam Lawrence’s corner. Barnsley equalised on the 38th minute through the ever so reliable Sam Winnall however it was Shrewsbury that left with all three points following Clark’s deflected effort in the last minute.

Chesterfield 2-3 Wigan

Dan Gardner put Chesterfield in front with a fine 30 yard strike and 6 minutes later Wigan’s Tyrone Barnett scored an own goal to put Chesterfield 2-0 up only for Barnett to score in the right net in the 81st minute to redeem himself and spark a comeback for the away side. A Craig Davies penalty tied it all up with 3 minutes plus stoppages left to play but to add insult to injury for Chesterfield Wigan substitute Jordy Hiwula scored with near enough the last kick of the game meaning Wigan took all three points.

Crewe 1-3 Swindon

Crewe came crashing down to the bottom of league one after this result. Adam King put Crewe ahead on the 61st minute mark but it was all down hill for the home side after that. Just 2 minutes after the home side were in front Tom Smith equalised for the away side, Wes Thomas on loan from Birmingham scored on his Swindon debut to make it 2-1 here and another new signing Nicky Ajose sealed the game for Swindon in the last minute.

Fleetwood 1-1 Rochdale

Fleetwood stopper Chris Maxwell saved an injury time penalty to make sure his side walked away with a point. Rochdale went in front 10 minutes into the second half thanks to a goal from Peter Vincenti. Fleetwood’s Jamile Matt equalised for the home side in the 87th minute but his sides point look in jeopardy as Peter Vincenti won a spot kick late on, Ian Henderson stepped up only for Chris Maxwell to pull off a fine save and rescue a point for Fleetwood.

Gillingham 1-0 Doncaster

Jake Hessenthaler’s controversial goal was the difference in this encounter at the Priestfield Stadium. Gillingham returned to the top of league one after Hessenthaler’s second half strike, the assistant referee flagged for the goal with the ref not having the greatest of views. Gillingham remain unbeaten and are the only team in the league to do so. The Gills are also yet to concede at home which makes it look like the Priestfield is becoming a fortress.

Oldham 1-2 Bradford

Bradford took the lead through West Ham loanee Reece Burke after Mark Marshall’s fine pass, Devante Cole doubled Bradford’s lead after an exquisite finish just after Oldham had Jonathan Forte sent off after his altercation with Bradford’s Stephen Darby which all but ended Oldham’s unbeaten start to the season. Joe Mills grabbed a consolation on what was a very disappointing day for Oldham

Scunthorpe 0-1 Blackpool

Blackpool won their first game since January with a 1-0 win against Scunthorpe. The seasiders went 24 games without a victory in all competitions but Brad Potts scrambled in before the half time break to end the onslaught. The three points were not enough to get Blackpool out of the relegation zone.

Walsall 0-1 Bury

Craig Jones’ early goal gave Bury their first win of the season and ended Walsall’s unbeaten start. Walsall pushed for an equaliser ever since Bury netted in the 6th minute but failed to break Bury down, Shakers goalkeeper Rob Lainton pulled off a string of saves to make sure that his side walked away with all 3 points.

Burton 1-2 Coventry

Coventry City came from behind to earn all three points at Burton on Sunday. Burton took the lead when Aaron Martin turned Mark Duffy’s low cross into his own net but Coventry striker Marcus Tudgay equalised on the 20 minute mark. Romain Vincelot won the game for Coventry when he tapped in from close range 11 minutes into the second half.








The Latest

To Top