Report: Rotherham United 3-2 Wigan Athletic

Absolute nightmare for Latics.

On a cold afternoon in Rotherham, Latics suffer a defeat on Boxing Day.

Warren Joyce made one change to the side which lost to Ipswich at the DW Stadium last week, Craig Davies came in for the injured David Perkins.

The first goal of the game came after just 8 minutes when Rotherham had a corner which went towards the far post before being put back across goal, straight to Aymen Belaïd, who gave the Millers the lead.

The Millers doubled their lead 24 minutes later when Danny Ward’s strike from outside the box flew into the back of the net, leaving Jääskeläinen with no chance.

The third goal came in stoppage time when Danny Ward was played through one on one with Jääskeläinen. Jussi made a fantastic save, however, Dan Burn managed to put it into his own net which made it 3-0 to the Millers, completing a nightmare half for the Latics.

Wigan were booed off at half-time due to their poor first half performance.

The Latics seemed to respond to this and in the second half, they came back into the game somewhat. Yanic Wildschut’s shot curled into the bottom right corner of the net after 51 minutes to get Latics back into the game. They then got their second of the game after 79 minutes when Andy Kellett did well down the right-hand side before squaring it to Jordi Gomez who drilled the ball into the back of the net.

Latics thought they had an equaliser in the 90th minute when Will Grigg put the ball into the back of the net but he was penalised for a deliberate handball.

Latics did perform much better after the break and nearly got a point out of it but in the end, they came up just short.

Warren Joyce said:

“After going 3-0 down, you have got a mountain to climb, we have had a rally in the second half. You can’t give any team a goal start, never mind three goals.”

“I thought we were poor from the second goal to half-time, I thought we were ragged and didn’t play with any thought.”

“The second half was a lot better. You have always got to believe you can, it’s a 90-minute game and we nearly did it. But you can’t give a team that lead.”

Rotherham: Price, Belaid, Mattock, Wood, Fisher; Forde, Frecklington, Adeyemi, Newell (Vaulks 84′); Ward, Brown (Odemwingie 68′).

Unused Subs: Bilboe, Kelly, Taylor, Blackstock, Broadfoot.

Wigan: Jaaskelainen, Kellett (Byrne 80′), Buxton, Burn, Warnock; Power, Gomez; Davies (Le Fondre 56′), Jacobs, Grigg, Wildschut.

Unused Subs: Lavercombe, Flores, Woolery, L. Burke, Stubbs.

Referee: David Coote

Attendance: 10,158

David – @DCurtyy – Football Writer

Featured Image Credit: dom fellowes



The Latest

To Top