I was lucky enough to interview The New Saints of Oswestry Town & Llansantffraid Football Club (TNS) chairman Mike Harris.
Firstly, How did you get into football?
“Played it since I was a kid and used to go to Shrewsbury Town with my grandad back in late 60s early 70s”
What is your biggest achievement in football to date?
“There are many moments that fill me with a sense of achievement:
- Winning the Welsh Premier for the first time as a semi-pro side in 2000
- Representing Wales every year since in either the Champions League or Europa League
- Beating Bohemians in the Champions League
- Playing in Millennium stadium against Man City
- Playing well and silencing Anfield against Liverpool
- Beating Cardiff in Premier Cup semi-final, then going on to win it
- Opening our new ground in Oswestry
- Developing young people to play the game or be employed within the club
- There are many more, too many to list”
What is your current status in football?
“I am chairman of The New Saints”
How do you view the future, starting with the rest of the season?
“Hopefully we will close the season with the title and then progress into one of the UEFA group stages.”
How does Welsh football compare to the English game?
Difficult question, I think the main difference is that it’s a game of football uncluttered from egos, boards of hangers-on and vast amounts of money with little reward for spending it.”
What is the worst thing about being a chairman in your opinion, if anything?
“If there was anything then it’s my fault, only me to blame.”
Finally, out of everyone at TNS who is?
QUICKEST – Jamie Mullen
SLOWEST – Me
HARDMAN – Craig Harrison (The Manager)
MOST SKILLFUL – All of the players
HARDEST SHOT – Philip Baker
WORST DRESS SENSE – Carl Darlington
THE JOKER – Maza (Chris Marriott)
BEST MATE AT CLUB – Everyone
MOST VAIN – Brobs (Ryan Brobbel)
WHO’S THE LONGEST IN THE SHOWER – I don’t look
You can follow Mike on Twitter @
David – @DCurtyy – Football Writer