Are Newcastle edging closer to signing Jacob Murphy? Or are Norwich City asking for too much money?

Newcastle are currently trying to get the signature of Norwich winger Jacob Murphy, an £8m bid was offered which was quickly rejected. However reports suggest Rafa Benitez is trying to negotiate a deal. Although Norwich are wanting to keep hold of the winger, unless the right price is offered.

Murphy scored nine goals and six assists in 37 games for the Canaries in their 2016/17 Championship season. His stats from last season seem to have impressed massively as they have attracted the attention of Newcastle United, Crystal Palace, Swansea, West Brom and Southampton. All five teams are currently fighting for Murphy’s signature.

The youngster has caught the eye of many, and would like to step up to the Premier League, showing interest in a move to his boyhood club Newcastle. Rafa Benitez is wanting to make the move happen as quickly as possible. Newcastle have signed two players this summer however would like to sign some more players by the start of the season. One of which being Jacob Murphy, along with a striker.

Rafa Benitez has demanded Newcastle to improve their offer for Murphy, before a higher bid comes in. With Norwich looking at a fee of around £12m. Murphy played for England under-21’s in the 2017 under-21 European Championship, where they lost to winners Germany in the semi-finals. Murphy’s performance in the euro’s caught many peoples eye, leading them to believe he is Premier League ready. His performance plus the four years left on his contract has boosted the price of the winger.

My opinion

I believe Jacob Murphy is a very good player with a lot of potential. He would fit very well into the Newcastle squad with his pace and abilities which leads me to think Murphy would be a very good signing for Newcastle. However my only concern is, will he be good enough? On the other hand, he has a lot of potential and is a very good player with the ability to score goals as well as create goals.

Feature image credit: Sir-Nobby

Comments

comments

Share.

About Author

Newcastle united season ticket holder since the age of 10, spend 90% of my time watching football and the other 10% sleeping