Match Report: FA Cup – Another week to wait

Leatherhead will have to wait another week before they find out if they’re in the draw for the second round of the FA Cup, after a questionable penalty decision was awarded and scored by Billericay in the second half.

Jack Midson took the lead in a fairly even game after 21 minutes with a flick on at the near post, but Billericay were rescued by substitute Bricknell from the penalty spot after 67 minutes to earn a replay back at the New Lodge.

Billericay were almost ahead after two minutes after Minshull failed to clear a Modeste flick on which sent Jake Robinson through on goal, but Oualah stood his ground and kept the ball out with his feet to keep the score goalless.

It wasn’t until 20 minutes later when the next chance came about and it was for the home team. Sammy Moore’s free kick wasn’t dealt with by either Julian or his defence and the ball went out for a corner. The resulting corner was cleared by Paul Konchesky at the near post, but only as far as Sammy Moore. He whipped the ball near post which was flicked on by striker Jack Midson beyond the keeper to put the home side 1-0 up.

Leatherhead should’ve doubled their lead five minutes later when Gallagher picked out Clohessy’s run into the penalty box, but the right back didn’t keep his composure and fired wide. Neither side dominated the rest of the first half and the teams went into the changing rooms with the score at 1-0.

Second Half

Billericay came out for the second half a lot stronger and had numerous chances. If it wasn’t for some great defensive clearances and blocks by Clohessy and Amboisine, as well as some wasted opportunities by Jake Robinson and Adam Cunnington, Billericay would’ve equalised.

Penalty appeal

However, Modeste received the ball from former Premier League midfielder, Jermaine Pennant on the edge of the box and was tripped by player/manager, Sammy Moore. The referee hesitated after blowing his whistle and eventually pointed to the spot. However, replays show that the contact was possibly outside the box. It was Billy Bricknell that bravely stepped up and confidently placed the ball into the bottom corner.

Last chance

Despite Oualah getting a finger to the ball, it wasn’t quite enough. On the 73rd minute, Modeste should’ve put the away side 2-1 up when Leatherhead only half cleared the ball into the path of Modeste who volleyed towards goal, but he fired wide of the post. 10 minutes from time, Midson flicked header very nearly found the toe of Jerry Nnamani in the six-yard box, but the ball was inches too far ahead of the captain and the keeper gathered the ball. As we went into added time, Billericay came close to confirming their place in the second round, but Zaki Oualah insured that the game remained goalless and that the tie would be decided with a replay.

The replay will be played on the 14th November at Billericay’s home ground, New Lodge. Leatherhead’s next fixture is at home on Wednesday the 8th November against playoff pushers, Folkestone Invicta for a 7:45 kick off. The Tanners will be hoping to improve their League form and get their first League victory in three games.

Adam Norton



The Latest

To Top