Leatherhead’s FA Cup run continues

Leatherhead’s FA Cup dream continues as they defeated non-league giants, Billericay Town 3-1 to send them into the second round against Wycombe Wanders away.

Cunnington put the hosts ahead early on in the second half, but a brace from Jack Midson and an added time goal by Sammy Moore was enough to defy all the odds and send the Tanners through.

First Half

The hosts somehow didn’t break the deadlock after ten minutes. Oualah managed to get his hand to a one-on-one but it was followed by a foot race between Ambroisine and Robinson, before the ball trickled over the line. Luckily, Ambroisine slid in to save the day and cleared off the line.

The Tanners came close five minutes later when an under hit cross by Theobalds eluded McManus and his marker and found its way to Richards in the six-yard box. But he couldn’t get the ball under his feet and the ball went out for a goal kick.

The game became a midfield battle for the remainder of the half with very few chances for both teams. Cunnington had a volley from the edge of the box fly narrowly wide of the post and Theobalds had a deflected shot well saved by Jack Giddens.

Next best chance in the first half came for Leatherhead ten minutes before half time. Sammy Moore’s corner was flicked on at the near post by Midson, volleyed towards goal by Theobalds but was blocked, as was McManus’ rebound.

Second Half

Moore came close to putting Leatherhead in front five minutes into the second half when McManus won a free kick on the edge of the box. Sammy Moore stepped up, fired to the keeper’s side of the goal, but there wasn’t quite enough curl to put it in the other side of the post.

On the hour mark, it was Billericay that broke the deadlock. Jake Robinson ran onto a through ball to the right, took the ball to the by-line, played a low ball into the Cunnington who easily put it beyond Oualah.

Theobalds should’ve equalised five minutes later. He played a very nice one-two with McManus, dodged his way round two Billericay defenders but didn’t keep his composure in front of goal and fired way wide of the target.

However, three minutes later the Tanners equalised. Blackman darted his way into the attacking third and fired towards goal, his deflected shot went over the keeper and just went the wrong side of the post.

The resulting corner was cleared as far as Sam Blackman who looped a cross back post, Ambroisine headed the ball back across goal and it was headed in from two yards out by Jack Midson.

Twenty minutes later, the Tanners went ahead thanks to a penalty scored by Jack Midson. McManus took an excellent turn to get in behind the defender. As he’s about to take a shot on goal, Rob Swaine took him down in the penalty box and was given a second yellow card. Midson stepped up confidently and sent the keeper the wrong way to put the visitors 2-1 up.

Extra Time

Leatherhead sealed the deal in the second minute of added time. The first chance was taken by Clohessy who was denied by the keeper and Nathan Woods’ rebound was spectacularly blocked on the line.

The clearance went only as far as Jack Midson on the edge of the box, the goalscorer laid the ball off to Sammy Moore who rocketed a first-time effort beyond the helpless keeper to make the score 3-1.

The Tanners’ FA Cup run will continue in the second round away to Wycombe Wanderers, which is scheduled to be played on Sunday 3rd December at 2pm.

Adam Norton



The Latest

To Top