This weekend saw the continuation of one of the oldest and fiercest rivalries in European football, the old firm derby. After fans of the two Glasgow giants were somewhat deprived in recent years of this fixture, this instalment in the Scottish cup semi-final only seems to have wet the appetite for the return of the domestic derbies next year. From just before kick-off the famous Old Firm atmosphere could be heard around Hampden Park with its usual area of spite and crackling of disdain and vulgar disrespect simmering just below the surface.

It took just five minutes for an old face to the test the early going as former Celtic striker Kenny Miller, who had previously played for both clubs in this ferocious derby, tested veteran goalkeeper Craig Gordon with a shot on five minutes.Four minutes later Scott Brown the Celtic skipper dragged his shot just wide of goal with Celtic’s first real chance of the game.

It took just a further five minutes for Miller to make his presence known in the most resounding way after capitalising on a mistake by the Celtic skipper Brown and putting the ball into the net, making it one nil to the blue half of Glasgow.

Both teams then traded chances until in the 32nd minute Griffiths the Celtic forward hit the post which fell back to Patrick Roberts who somehow failed to place the ball into the empty net instead dragging his attempt wide and drawing jeers from the Rangers faithful.

Rangers maintained the lead at the break but shortly after the resumption of play Sviatchencko fired Celtic back level to the delight of the green and white fans behind the goal. Neither side had particularly clear-cut chances, this was until Patrick Roberts saw his header sail just wide of the post with only two minutes of normal time remaining.

As the game progressed into extra time Rangers appeared to be in the ascendancy and after five minutes were well rewarded when Barry McKay fired home to give them the lead. However, Celtic came back on the attack almost immediately first by firing wide a free kick which served as a warning to Rangers.

Right on the stroke of half-time in extra time, Rogic stroked the ball into the corner of the net to make it all square.With just two minutes to go in extra time, Griffiths saw his free kick rattle the crossbar before being turned away somewhat unwittingly by Fordringham.

In the shootout with the game level at four converted penalties a piece, it was earlier scorer Rogic who stepped up as one of the sudden death takers to keep Celtic in the game after Nicky Law had converted his own spot kick to give Rangers the advantage. Rogic blasted the ball high over the crossbar gifting the win to the blue side of Glasgow which will see them face Hibernian in an all championship final of the Scottish cup.




About Author

Leave a Reply