10-man Rotherham fight back for a late draw against Nottingham Forest

Rotherham United 2 – 2 Nottingham Forest

10-man Rotherham United grabbed a well-earned late equaliser as Jon Taylor got his second of the game. This was after Forest went 2-1 up with goals from Matt Mills and Apostolos Vellios.

There was nothing to separate the sides in the early going. Each team had their fair share of the ball without creating any gilt edge chances.

Apostolos Vellios had Forest’s best chance early on as he fired his shot wide of the mark from inside the area before Danny Ward broke free for the home side only to see his shot from a difficult angle go wide.

It was Rotherham who got off the mark first. Their swift counter attack was lead by Isaiah Brown, who found space on the edge of the box before releasing Jon Taylor. He made no mistake as he finished the move off well, beating the ‘keeper from close range.

Nottingham Forest piled on the pressure in the second half but it came no avail for much of the half, as the Millers defended bravely to keep out the away side.

Nicklas Bendtner came on for his Forest debut after 59 minutes and he had an early chance to get off the mark for his new side. Jorge Grant sent in a sublime ball from the right wing, but the stretching Bendtner could not get on the end of it.

Rotherham replied to this not long after as Greg Halford’s side foot shot from inside the box went just wide of the far post, before Forest’s Pajtim Kasami struck his free kick from the edge of the box well but it went just wide.

Nottingham Forest eventually made their chances pay as they equalised with 15 minutes to go. Their most priced asset, Henri Lansbury, sent in a tempting corner which was met by Matt Mills. His header managed to find the net after Rotherham ‘keeper, Lee Camp failed to keep out the effort.

This was the start of a unbelievable 15 minutes of football. Rotherham were reduced to 10 men after 82 minutes when their right-back, Darnell Fisher, was given a second yellow card for a late challenge on Ben Osborn.

From the resulting free-kick, Apostolos Vellios reacted first to the free ball as he hit a brilliant overhead kick from inside the area to leave Lee Camp with no chance to give his side a 2-1 lead.

This did not deter the valiant Millers though. They equalised just two minutes later as the returning Lee Frecklington won the ball back out wide, allowing him to lay the ball off to Jon Taylor inside the area. He turned Matt Mills before finishing superbly past Vladimir Stojković to give his side a share of the spoils.


Nottingham Forest manager, Philippe Montanier, reacted to his sides 2-2 draw after the game:

For me, they played well in the first half and were even better in the second until right at the end. They gave me everything and I am really proud of my players.

Rotherham United manager, Alan Stubbs, reacted by stating how happy he was with his sides performance:

I thought that was our best performance of the season. I thought we should have had the three points, although it feels like a moral victory.

Forest have made a positive start to the season as they currently sit 10th in the table. Montanier will be hoping to have Britt Assombalonga back to full fitness soon, as he will be invaluable to them in their attempts to mount an outside challenge for the play-offs.

This was Rotherham’s best performance so far this season, one that far surpasses their disappointing display on Saturday against Bristol City.

They showed great fight to get back into the game, which is a massive positive for them both in the short and long term. They will have to battle for every single point this season as they seek to avoid relegation again this year. If they do manage to avoid the drop, it would be another remarkable achievement for a club who have consistently proved people wrong since their return to the Championship.



The Latest

To Top