Plymouth Argyle 1-1 Hartlepool United – Match Review

It was a blustery Saturday afternoon on the south-coast as League 2 leaders, Plymouth Argyle, hosted Hartlepool, a round trip of 774 miles. To make matters worse for Pools fans, their side were struggling for form having won just one game in their last five.The last time these two met was the final day of last season as Pools were beaten 5-0 by an impressive Argyle side, hometown boy Tyler Harvey and Northern Ireland’s Louis Rooney scoring a brace each.

Hartlepool dominated in the first 20 minutes as former Pilgrims forwards Lewis Alessandra and Nathan Thomas both posed a threat. Pools came close when Alessandra’s free kick was deflected over the bar. The deadlock was broken in the 21st minute, the ball was played out to the edge of the box to Nathan Thomas who then swung in a cross that beat beating Luke McCormick to give Hartlepool an unexpected 1-0 lead. After the goal Plymouth had to respond, Carey had a

After the goal Plymouth had to respond, Carey had a free kick saved, Tanner and Slew on the wings were putting in crosses but the good defending from Hartlepool helped them hang onto the lead going into the break. The last 15-20 minutes of the half were dominated by the Pilgrims but nothing came from the dominance and after the additional minute of added time the whistle was blown.

Nathan Thomas (above) was goalscorer for the Pools as they led 1-0 at the break.

The only half-time substitutions made were for the host’, last season’s top goalscorer Jake Jervis and one of many new signing’s Connor Smith from AFC Wimbledon replaced Yann Songo’o and Jordan Slew. The Pools retained the same eleven. Early

All the early signs indicated that Hartlepool would add to their lead. Hartlepool kept up the pressure, Alessandra chested down to Thomas who shot from range but his attempt was easily saved by Luke McCormick. As the game wore on Plymouth began to dominate and Hartlepool started to put everything on the line to keep all three points. Their best chance in the second half came when Graham Carey and Ben Purrington linked up, the ball ended up just wide. Two

Hartlepool then introduced two substitutes. Nicky Deverdics came on for a limping Nathan Thomas, who so far scored the pivotal goal and Billy Paynter replaced Padraig Amond. However, the talking point of the game came in the 82nd minute. The ball was looping around the Pool’s box, Jake Jervis headed the ball down to Jimmy Spencer, who before he could header the ball, was taken down by the high-boot of Aristote Nsiala and a penalty was awarded by the referee. Jake Jervis calmly stepped up in front of the Devonport End and struck the ball  to the left well out of Carson’s reach to make the score 1-1 with 84 minutes played.

The visitors responded very angrily to the penalty decision. Hartlepool manager Craig Hignett was sent off for his protests. The Pilgrims could have snatched it late on as six minutes were held up by the fourth official. During stoppage time, Graham Carey went down the left, crossed it low and Hartlepool defender Liam Donnelly very nearly put the ball into his own net.

Hartlepool were holding on as Argyle continued to dominate possession. Their task was made much harder though when Scott Harrison, who was already on a booking, kicked the ball away before a throw-in could be taken. he was awarded a second yellow card and was sent off! Argyle kept up the relentless pressure to the end but Hartlepool’s three-man defence managed to see the game out. The whistle was blown and Hartlepool move up to 15th whereas the Pilgrims remain top of the league after 7 games undefeated in the league, they travel to Leyton Orient on Tuesday while Hartlepool host a strong Luton Town side.

The leveller was scored by Jake Jervis (above) his penalty kept Plymouth Argyle at the top of the league.

Final Score –

Plymouth Argyle  1 – 1 Hartlepool United – Jervis (84) , Thomas (21)

Attendance – 7,591.




About Author

Leave a Reply