Match Report

Vanarama National League Review – Saturday 18th February 2017

With Lincoln and Sutton in FA Cup action this weekend, this presented an opportunity for teams at the top and bottom of the league to take advantage and earn three much-needed points. It was an entertaining afternoon in Non-League’s top tier, with 25 goals and no shortage of action. Here is the best of the action, plus a short roundup covering other results:


Dagenham saw their 100% record in 2017 come to a frustrating end with a shock defeat at home to lowly Guiseley. They paid the price for a poor start, falling behind to a Jordan Preston strike before things went from bad to worse when Corey Whitely saw red, leaving his side with 80 minutes to play a man light.

On the stroke of half-time, they were awarded a penalty but Maguire-Drew stepped up and missed. The final nail was hammered into the coffin by Jordan Preston who curled home a second to put the game beyond doubt.

Dagenham worked tirelessly and did grab a consolation through Hawkins in injury time, but it was too big a task and their five-match winning streak came to an end. For Guiseley, it’s only their second away victory all season and they move up a place to 19th.


Mark Cooper too saw his Forest Green side suffer a disappointing loss as they were comfortably beaten by Gateshead, who themselves are just on the cusp of the play-offs.

Danny Johnson scored twice before the half-hour and, after Woolery had got one back for Rovers, Wes York sealed the game with a spectacular strike.

Gateshead stay eighth, eight points and five places behind Forest Green.


Eastleigh’s woeful home form has been the main cause of their slip in recent times and it was an unhappy return to the Silverlake Stadium yet again as they were defeated by Tranmere Rovers.

Maynard, Vaughan and Norwood all tested Graham Stack before a Ben Tollitt fired a shot past the keeper on the hour mark and turned provider for Norwood to finish the game off.

Martin Allen has now not seen his side win in 10 games, while Tranmere are unbeaten in their five games in all competitions.


In a meeting between two sides whose recent form has led to them creeping up on the playoffs, it was Aldershot who proved too strong for their hosts at the Racecourse Stadium.

With more than 5000 in attendance, the first-half was a tense, even affair. However, in the second half, the Shots took control and took the lead through Scott Rendell’s scrambled header. Ten minutes later, this was put beyond any doubt as Kellerman saw his strike roll past the keeper.


With both Dagenham and Forest Green losing, this opened the door for both Barrow and Dover to gain important victories. Barrow were unable to defeat Torquay at Holker Street, although they did come up against a resilient Gulls side, while Dover survived a scare to win 2-1 at North Ferriby United after coming from behind.

Meanwhile, Macclesfield Town recovered from Wednesday’s loss to Barrow by beating Braintree 2-0 at home, with the goals coming from Jennings and Holroyd in quick succession late on in the game.

Mid-table Bromley couldn’t find a way past Solihull Moors as they were narrowly beaten 1-0. A sizzling first-half performance from Maidstone helped smash Chester 4-2, Boreham Wood and York drew 1-1 and in a valuable six-pointer at the bottom, Woking v Southport ended goalless.



The Latest

To Top